Social Impact Assessment (SIA) was formally discussed in Malaysia as a tool in social and landuse planning in the mid 1990s. Various initiatives were mobilized by the government and non-government bodies towards enhancing and institutionalising SIA which had subsequently encouraged private sector consultancies and institutes of higher learning to participate in improving the practice of SIA. There were many parallel interests to form MSIA by committed individuals across the country. In order to expedite the establishment of an association of professionals involved in SIA, a Pro-tem Committee was officially formed to work on the registration of the Association. The Association was formally approved by the Registrar of Societies in 2005. Since then, Annual General Meetings have been held every year.
OBJECTIVES OF THE ASSOCIATION
- To promote the practice of SIA in the formulation and implementation of development and policy proposals at the national and international levels.
- To promote participation in identifying social impacts of policies and projects and measures required in addressing them.
- To promote the research and development of social impact assessment theory, methods and practices relevant to the Malaysian society.
- To promote and encourage a high standard of practice amongst members of the Association and others using SIA methods, in accordance with the Code of Ethics.
- To undertake and encourage initiatives, consistent with the other objects, powers and resources of the Association, to promote or advance the protection of the social environment.
- To create a resource network of experts on SIA.
- To facilitate the improvement of the quality and standard of professionalism of practitioners.
- To provide a platform/forum for interdisciplinary integration of SIA practitioners.
- To professionalise SIA.
WHAT IS SIA?
SIA is a process to identify, predict, evaluate options and communicate information about impacts on the community and their activities, of a proposed project, plan, programme or policy and to detail mitigating measures.
WHAT DOES SIA DO?
- Predicts the nature and size of potential negative and positive effects on individuals, businesses and communities.
- Develops and implements appropriate recommendations and impact management measures to avoid or reduce potential negative potential socio-economic impacts and enhance positive impacts.
- Identifies net social and economic impacts occurring after mitigation measures are applied.
- Help resolve public issues by working with the community to address the potential impacts.
For further enquiries, please contact our Secretariat